This chicken and vegetable casserole is baked in a tangy cream sauce. The treat is the colorful topping of diced red and green vegetables in cheese.
INGREDIENTS (for 7 servings):
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 cups cubed, cooked chicken meat
- 1/2 cup fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced green onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped pimento peppers
- 1 1/4 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
In a large saucepan, combine the carrots, onion, celery, and chicken broth. Stir all together, and let simmer for 20 minutes. In a 3-quart casserole dish, mix soup, sour cream, chicken cubes, mushrooms, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Add simmered vegetables and liquid; mix well.
In a mixing bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix in eggs, milk, green pepper, pimentos and 1 cup of the cheese until well blended. Drop by spoonfuls on top of casserole.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until golden brown. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup of cheese, and continue baking another 5 to 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.