Get ready for this classic Indian dish, served over rice.
INGREDIENTS (for 9 servings):
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter or stick margarine
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound skinned, boned chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 (8 ounce) container plain fat-free yogurt
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 5 cups cubed peeled baking potato (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 4 cups water
- 4 1/2 cups hot cooked basmati rice
- 2/3 cup chopped tomato
Combine first 8 ingredients. Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat; saute onion and garlic 5 minutes. Stir in spice mixture; saute 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add chicken, and saute for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
Combine the yogurt and tomato paste; stir with a whisk. Add yogurt mixture, potato, and water to pan. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Serve over rice, and top with tomato.
Reprinted with permission of Cooking Light® magazine. All rights reserved.CALORIES 315 (15% from fat); FAT 5.2g (sat 2.7g, mono 1.4g, poly 0.5g); PROTEIN 18.2g; CARB 49g; FIBER 3g; CHOL 40mg; IRON 3.1mg; SODIUM 377mg; CALC 96mg