This extra-cheesy, enchilada-like main dish is sure to please the whole family.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 (4.5 ounce) cans chopped green chiles, divided
- 1 3/4 pounds skinned, boned chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup tub-style light cream cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 12 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- cooking spray
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 ounce tortilla chips, crushed
Combine broth and 1 can of chiles in a large skillet; bring to a boil. Add chicken; reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until chicken is done, turning chicken once. Remove chicken from cooking liquid, reserving cooking liquid; cool chicken. Shred meat with two forks, and set aside.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 can of chiles and onion; saute 3 minutes or until soft. Add reserved cooking liquid, milk, Monterey Jack, cream cheese, and enchilada sauce; stir well. Stir in shredded chicken; cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
Place 4 tortillas in the bottom of a 2-quart casserole coated with cooking spray. Spoon 2 cups chicken mixture over tortillas. Repeat layers twice, ending with chicken mixture. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and chips. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Reprinted with permission of Cooking Light® magazine. All rights reserved.CALORIES 369 (28% from fat); FAT 11.4g (sat 5g, mono 3.8g, poly 1.4g); PROTEIN 35.6g; CARB 31.3g; FIBER 3g; CHOL 79mg; IRON 2.4mg; SODIUM 479mg; CALC 360mg