These lunchtime treats were a favorite for us when we were kids. A wonderful alternative to traditional deep fried southern style fritters.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 (15.25 ounce) can canned whole kernel corn
- 1 (14.75 ounce) can canned cream-style corn
- 1 teaspoon lard or other cooking fat
In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt and pepper. Make a well in the center, and pour in the egg, milk, whole kernel corn, and cream-style corn. Mix until all ingredients are combined.
Heat the lard in a skillet over medium-high heat. Drop tablespoon-sized dollops of batter onto the hot skillet, and fry for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Serve with butter and salt, and a cold glass of milk.