This delicious side dish has a taste of the Southwest from a poblano chili.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup shallots, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh poblano chile pepper, seeded and chopped
- 12 ounces frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 3/4 cups half-and-half cream
- 6 eggs
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 1/2 cups cooked crabmeat
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly butter eight 3/4 cup custard cups or souffle dishes.
In a heavy skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add shallots and poblano pepper; saute until pepper is tender, about 3 minutes.
In a blender or food processor, puree corn. Add half-and-half, eggs, flour, salt, sugar, nutmeg and white pepper. Pulse until mixture is smooth; transfer to large bowl. Stir in crabmeat and poblano chile mixture. Divide custard among prepared cups. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon cheese over each.
Place cups in large roasting pan. Pour enough hot water into pan to come halfway up sides. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 50 minutes or until custards are set in center and knife inserted into center comes out clean.