Non-dairy creamer provides an unusual base for this chowder made with bacon, canned corn, potatoes and concentrated chicken soup base.
INGREDIENTS (for 5 servings):
- 6 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, sliced thin
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 1/2 (15 ounce) cans whole kernel corn
- 3 quarts water
- 2 cups non-dairy creamer
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon powder
- 7 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
Render bacon in a skillet and set aside.
In a stockpot add the water, onion, celery and potatoes. If desired, add 2 chopped carrots. Boil until tender. Add the non-dairy creamer, stirring constantly. Add the corn, onion powder, chicken soup base, salt, pepper and cooked bacon.
Bring mixture to a boil. Whisk together the flour and the 1 cup water and slowly add this mixture, stirring constantly. Cook over medium heat until slightly thickened. Ladle into bowls and serve.