Chopped mushrooms, celery and green onions are baked with crumbled homemade cornbread in this great stuffing.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pinch dried parsley
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
In a 9 inch iron skillet, mix cornmeal, white sugar, baking powder, salt, 2 eggs, evaporated milk and vegetable oil.
Bake cornmeal mixture in the preheated oven 35 to 40 minutes, or until lightly browned. Allow to cool.
Crumble the cooled cornbread into a large bowl. Mix in remaining eggs, mushrooms, celery, green onions, butter, chicken broth, condensed cream of chicken soup, ground black pepper and dried parsley.
Transfer the mixture to the prepared 9x13 inch baking dish. Bake 45 minutes in the preheated oven.