Canned vegetables minimize prep time in this chicken and rice skillet dish topped with Cheddar.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (15 ounce) can green beans
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can carrots, drained
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
Cut chicken into bite size pieces. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onion and chicken for about 3 minutes.
Add green beans, tomatoes with liquids (not drained), carrots, potato, rice, salt and pepper to skillet. Mix gently.
Pour water over top of chicken mixture. Cover skillet and simmer over medium low heat, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until rice and potato are tender.
Sprinkle chicken mixture with cheese. Let stand covered for 5 minutes and serve.