Six beans, grains and pastas are layered to a pretty effect in a glass jar with seasonings and bouillon granules in this winning idea for a hostess gift.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1/2 cup dried split peas
- 1/2 cup uncooked white rice
- 1/2 cup dry lentils
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 2 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 cup uncooked alphabet pasta
- 1 cup uncooked twist macaroni
In a wide mouth 1 quart jar, layer the barley, peas, rice and lentils. Then layer around the edges the onion, parsley, salt, lemon pepper, bouillon and the alphabet pasta. Fill the rest of the jar with the twist macaroni.
Seal and attach a gift card. The gift card should read: Add contents of jar to 3 quarts of water, 2 stalks of chopped celery, 2 sliced carrots, 1 cup of shredded cabbage (optional) and 2 cups diced tomatoes. Over medium low heat, cover and simmer about 1 hour, or until vegetables are tender.