This California original of seafood atop fresh greens is defined, in part, by its creamy Thousand Island dressing. If you wish, you can use either all shrimp or all crab meat.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 4 eggs
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1/4 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound crabmeat
- 8 ounces cooked shrimp
- 1 avocado - peeled, pitted and sliced
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup hot chile sauce
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 lemon - cut into wedges, for garnish
Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil; cover, remove from heat, and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water, cool, peel and chop.
Evenly divide the lettuce, cucumbers, crab, shrimp, avocado, tomatoes and eggs between 4 salad plates.
Prepare the dressing by whisking together the mayonnaise, chili sauce, relish, salt and pepper. Spoon dressing over the salad and garnish with parsley and lemon.