A mellow stuffing that pairs up perfectly with the Maple Roast Turkey and Gravy. Originally submitted to ThanksgivingRecipe.com.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 12 cups white bread cubes, baked until slightly dry
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1/4 cup butter
- 6 cups coarsely chopped leeks
- 4 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 3 tart apples - peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 1/3 cups chicken stock
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
Saute; sausage in a large skillet over medium heat, crumbling coarsely, for about 10 minutes. Remove sausage to a large bowl with a slotted spoon. Empty pan of grease.
Into the same pan melt the butter. Add the leeks or onions, apples, celery and poultry seasoning. Saute until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the rosemary, dried cranberries and cooked sausage. Mix all with the dried bread cubes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Moisten with the chicken stock.
Stuff turkey with about 5 cups for a 14 pound turkey. Add additional chicken stock to moisten stuffing if needed. Remaining stuffing can be baked in a covered buttered casserole at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for about 45 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 15 minutes to brown top.