Whole cranberry sauce and brown sugar, combined with nutmeg and cinnamon, go into this great holiday apple pie.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 6 apples
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole cranberry sauce
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a pie plate with pastry.
Peel, core, and slice the apples.
Combine apples and cranberry sauce in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Combine brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg; add to the apple mixture. Mix thoroughly. Turn filling into the pastry lined pan. Cover with top crust. Crimp edges. Cut slits in top crust.
Bake for 1 hour, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling bubbly.
Baking pie is a rather straightforward technique, but a few tips can only help to make your pies come out looking and tasting perfect!