One of my favorite Cajun recipes! Shrimp may be substituted for crawfish.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 pound crawfish, peeled
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (12 ounce) package dry corn bread mix
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons shredded Cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
Saute crawfish, onions, bell peppers, green onions, salt and pepper together until crawfish are cooked; approximately 5 minutes.
Mix together cornbread mix, tomatoes and egg. Pour cornbread mixture and crawfish mixture into a 9x13 inch baking pan. Bake for 25 minutes.
Glaze top of cornbread with butter and sprinkle with cheese. Change the oven's temperature to broil and place the cornbread back in the oven until the cheese has melted, approximately 2 minutes.