Cooked beets are sliced and dressed with a delicious sauce - yogurt, mayonnaise, horseradish, vinegar, mustard and dill. Chill overnight. Perfect, perfect, perfect.
INGREDIENTS (for 5 servings):
- 6 medium beets
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced
- 5 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared Dijon-style mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 2 tablespoons dried dill weed
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 teaspoon ground black pepper
Scrub, top, and tail beets. Boil in salted water about 45 minutes, or until tender. Drain hot water from pot, and fill with cold water. Set aside until beets are cool enough to handle.
Slice beets thinly, and transfer to a salad bowl. Add onion and cucumber.
In separate bowl, combine yogurt, mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard, horseradish, dill, and salt and pepper. Pour over vegetables, and toss to combine. Refrigerate 2 hours, or overnight. Serve chilled.