I had this in an Italian Restaurant close to home. This is my version. Make extra because these little treats disappear rather quickly.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 French baguette, cut into diagonal 1/2 inch slices
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, halved
- 6 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 bunch fresh basil, julienned
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
Preheat the oven's broiler. Brush the slices of bread lightly with olive oil, and place on a baking sheet. Toast under the broiler for about 3 minutes. Watch carefully. Rub each crostini with a garlic clove for flavor.
Place the tomatoes into a medium bowl, and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
Place the crostini on a serving tray. Top each one with a slice of mozzarella cheese, cover with a spoonful of tomatoes, and garnish with fresh basil.