Crumbed Scotch filet steaks topped with slices of avocado and a rich mustard sauce.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 4 Scotch fillets (chuck eye)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups fresh bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 avocado - peeled, pitted and sliced
- Mustard Sauce
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup butter, diced and softened
Pound the steaks out to 1/2 inch thickness.
Coat steaks lightly with flour seasoned with salt and pepper. Dip steaks into lightly-beaten eggs, then coat with combined breadcrumbs and parsley, pressing on firmly. Place steaks on to tray, and refrigerate until ready to cook.
In a large frying pan, heat 1/4 cup butter and oil over medium-high heat. Cook steaks until golden brown, and cooked to desired doneness. Remove from pan, and keep warm.
In a metal bowl, whisk together egg yolks, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and mustard. Place the bowl over simmering water, and stir until sauce is thick and creamy. Whisk in the remaining 1/2 cup softened butter, and remove from heat.
Place steaks onto serving plates, place two slices of avocado on each steak, and spoon the Mustard Sauce over each one.