Water chestnuts give this classic green bean casserole crunch, while crumbled bacon boosts the flavor.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 (15 ounce) cans green beans, drained
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 1/3 cups French-fried onions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
In a 1-1/2 quart casserole dish, mix together the bacon, soup, water chestnuts, milk, green beans and pinch of black pepper.
Bake for 30 minutes or until heated through.
Stir and top with French fried onions. Bake for 5 additional minutes or until onions are golden brown.