This was my Grandmother's recipe. It is a molasses cookie with coffee in it.
INGREDIENTS (for 2 servings):
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup brewed coffee
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 5 tablespoons water as needed
- 2 cups white sugar
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Dissolve the baking soda in the coffee.
Cream the shortening with the white sugar. Beat in the eggs, coffee mixture, molasses, vinegar, 1/2 cup of the cocoa powder, spices, and flour. Dough should be thick and slightly sticky. Drop rounded spoonfuls of dough onto a greased cookie sheet.
Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Let cookies cool, then glaze.
To Make Glaze: Combine the confectioner's sugar, 1/4 cup cocoa, and enough water to achieve a desired spreading consistency. Beat until smooth.