This stew is fast and easy. It uses canned vegetables and bottled browning sauce to speed preparation. It simmers for less than half an hour.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 1/2 pounds beef cube steak
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cube beef bouillon, dissolved in 1 cup water
- 1 (15 ounce) can sliced potatoes, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can peas and carrots
- 1 teaspoon browning sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
Cut cube steaks into pieces about 1/2 inch in size. Sprinkle flour over a plate, and dredge meat in flour.
In a large skillet, heat oil and butter over medium high heat. Add steak pieces, onion, and garlic to oil in pan; saute till lightly browned. Add more butter if needed.
Stir in beef bouillon, potatoes, peas and carrots, browning sauce, Italian seasoning, salt, and black pepper. Cover, turn heat down to simmer, and cook for 25 minutes. It will thicken as it cooks. Add more water if it gets too thick.