This is a hearty meal of chicken and potatoes simmered with Indian spices, tomatoes, Swiss Chard, and yogurt. Adjust the spices to taste. Serve it over basmati rice.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon black mustard seed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (4 ounce) chicken thighs, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 medium potatoes, diced
- 2 roma (plum) tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 bunch Swiss chard, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) container plain yogurt
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. In hot oil, cook cumin seeds, garam masala, cardamom, cayenne pepper, mustard seeds, salt, and garlic. When seeds start to pop, stir in chicken and potatoes. Cook for 15 minutes, or until chicken is nearly done.
Stir in tomatoes, chard, and yogurt. Cover, and cook 15 minutes more, or until potatoes are tender and chicken is cooked through.