Lamb is marinated in yogurt and garlic overnight, then slowly stewed with curry spices, almonds and currants.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 pounds lamb sirloin, cut into cubes
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 2/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 cup currants
- 8 cups vegetable broth
In a medium bowl, combine yogurt and garlic. Stir in the lamb cubes until coated. Cover, and refrigerate overnight.
In a saucepan bring water to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat, and set aside.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Saute onions until tender. Stir in marinated lamb mixture. Season with cloves, ginger, cumin, cayenne and curry powder. Stir in raisins, reduce heat, and simmer for 2 hours. Stir in cooked rice and vegetable stock. return to a simmer, and cook 5 more minutes.