Impress your friends with this colorful chilled salad. Turkey, apple, celery, bell pepper, green onion and raisins are stirred up in a curried rice that's laced with garlic and ginger. This lovely mixture is then tossed in a vinaigrette, spooned into lett
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup instant rice
- 3/4 pound skinless, boneless turkey breast meat - cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon-style prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 leaves lettuce
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut, for serving
- 1/4 cup chopped, unsalted dry-roasted peanuts
In a large saucepan over high heat, combine the water, curry powder, garlic, ginger, salt and onion. Bring to a boil, remove from heat and stir in rice. Cover and set aside to cool.
In a large bowl, combine the turkey, apple, celery, bell pepper, green onion and raisins. Stir together, then stir in cooled rice mixture.
To Make Vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar, oil, mustard, honey, garlic, salt and pepper. Toss salad with vinaigrette, and cover and refrigerate for 30 to 40 minutes or until well chilled.
To Serve: Spoon some of the salad mixture onto each lettuce leaf and top with shredded coconut and peanuts.