Jumbo shrimp in a lightly spiced coconut curry sauce. Serve over hot cooked brown rice.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1/2 cup minced red bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Heat oil in large, nonstick saucepan over medium heat. Saute onion, red pepper, and garlic until vegetables begin to soften, about 3 minutes.
Season with cumin, coriander, and curry powder. Cook for 1 more minute. Stir in coconut milk, sugar, and crushed red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered for 2 minutes.
Stir in shrimp, and increase heat to medium-high. Cook and stir until shrimp is cooked through, about 4 minutes.
In a small bowl, combine cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water. Stir into shrimp mixture, and cook until sauce has thickened, about 1 minute. Stir in cilantro, and remove from heat.