My dad makes this as a special treat when I come to visit. It's my all time favorite meal. It's a great way to warm up (and fill up) on a cold winter day. Don't forget the oyster crackers!
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 pounds chicken drumsticks
- 1/4 cup uncooked barley
- 1/4 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 (20 ounce) package frozen cauliflower and broccoli
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
- 2 (28 ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 (28 ounce) cans tomato sauce
Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the onion, and cook until browned. Place the chicken in the pot, and cover with water. Bring to a boil, and cook 45 minutes, until the chicken is cooked and meat is easily removed from the bone.
Remove the chicken legs from the stock, and debone. Skim stock, and return meat to the pot.
Mix the barley and macaroni into the pot. Stir in the cauliflower and broccoli, corn, tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes, or until barley is done.