For people who like chicken and are looking for something a little different, this recipe is for you. Brown sugar, soy sauce, and cocoa provide the base for this rather colorful dish. Goes well on a bed of fried rice. Refried beans make a good side dish.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup light soy sauce
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon dried sage
- 1/4 cup finely ground almonds
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup cubed tomatoes
- 2/3 cup diced Swiss cheese
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cubed
In a bowl, mix the brown sugar and soy sauce. Stir in the cocoa, cilantro, sage, and almonds. Set aside.
In a separate bowl, toss together the green bell pepper, red bell pepper, tomatoes, and Swiss cheese.
Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Place chicken in the skillet, and cook 15 minutes, until juices run clear. Reduce heat to low, and stir in the brown sugar and soy sauce mixture until heated through. Top with the peppers, tomatoes, and cheese to serve.