Ground beef sauteed with onions is the basis for this highly seasoned dish, which also calls for condensed cream of celery and mushroom soups. Serve over noodles or rice.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can fat free condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup
- 1 (8 ounce) can canned mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons steak sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch dried oregano
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 cup water
In a large skillet over medium high heat, combine the ground beef and the onion and saute for 10 minutes, or until the meat is browned and the onion is tender.
In a large pot over high heat, combine the soups, mushrooms, soy sauce, steak sauce, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, curry powder to taste, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and oregano and season with salt to taste.
Bring to a slow boil, stirring often to prevent burning. When hot, add the meat and onion mixture.
In a separate small bowl, combine the cornstarch and water, stirring until cornstarch is dissolved, and add slowly to the sauce, stirring well. (Note: This will thicken the sauce so only do this if you feel it's necessary.)