Who would've thunk that so few ingredients would make the best, and I mean BEST, mushrooms that you've ever tasted? I always serve this at Christmas. Use any combination of mushrooms you like, but make sure to use fresh and not canned.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 1/2 pounds sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced black olives, drained
- 3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, and saute until tender, about 10 minutes. Layer half of the mushrooms in the bottom of a casserole dish. Sprinkle with half of the olives, half of the cheese, and 1 tablespoon of flour. Repeat the layers then top with the bread crumbs. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of melted butter over the crumbs.
Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until bubbly and browned on the top.