Deep-fried oysters southern style. This crisp and spicy coating is sure to please.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 2 quarts vegetable oil for deep-frying
- 1 quart shucked oysters, drained
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons seasoned salt
RInse oysters and soak in fresh water. Heat deep-fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
Combine cornmeal, garlic powder, Cajun seasoning, black pepper and seasoned salt in a large plastic bag. Place oysters in bag and shake until well coated.
Cook oysters 3 or 4 at a time in hot oil. Oysters will float and be golden brown when done. Drain briefly and serve warm.
We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. The exact amount may vary depending on cook time and temperature, ingredient density, and the specific type of oil used.