Molasses is substituted for sugar, and evaporated milk is used instead of cream in this recipe which also calls for a small quantity of buttermilk baking mix.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1/4 cups molasses
- 1/2 cup buttermilk baking mix
- 1 (9 inch) deep dish pie crust
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
In a mixing bowl, blend together the pumpkin, evaporated milk, butter, eggs and vanilla.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, salt, molasses and baking mix. Add to the pumpkin mixture and mix thoroughly.
Pour filling into unbaked pie crust and bake for 50 minutes or until knife inserted comes out clean.