Chicken and rice combine with cream of chicken soup and sour cream in this crowd-pleasing casserole topped with a buttery cracker crust.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 4 skinless, bone-in chicken breast halves
- 2 stalks celery, cut into thirds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 6 ounces sour cream
- 2 (10.5 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups crushed buttery round crackers
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Bring to a boil the chicken breasts, celery, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and enough water to cover. Cover, reduce heat to medium low; simmer for 35 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 cup liquid. Cool chicken, remove meat from bones, and cut into bite-size pieces.
In a large bowl, stir together sour cream, soup, broth, celery salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix in cooked rice and chicken. Spoon mixture into a 9x13 inch casserole dish. In a resealable bag, shake together crushed crackers and melted butter. Sprinkle crackers over the top.
Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes.