This recipe can be baked as cookies or as a fruitcake. It combines the traditional fruitcake ingredients of dates, dried fruit and chopped nuts.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup dates, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup candied mixed fruit peel, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1/2 cup chopped dried mixed fruit
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease one 5x9 inch loaf pan.
In a saucepan over medium heat, cook together the sugar, water, raisins, butter and salt. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
Sift together the flour, soda, ginger and cinnamon. Stir into the cooled cooked mixture.
Add the chopped dates, mixed peels, nuts and dried fruit.
Pour into loaf pan and bake for 1 hour or drop by the teaspoon on a cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes.