Deviled crab cakes with a white cream and basil sauce
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 3/4 pounds crabmeat
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups clam juice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh basil, minced
In a mixing bowl, place the crabmeat, salt, Worcestershire sauce, and hot pepper sauce. Mix thoroughly.
Shape the crab mixture into cakes and roll in bread crumbs.
In a medium skillet, heat 4 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Saute the cakes about 5 minutes. Turn, then cook for another 5 minutes or until golden brown.
For the sauce: In a 1.5 quart saucepan, heat the 1 tablespoon of oil and 1 tablespoon of butter. slowly add the flour to the oil, stirring constantly. Cook for 5 minutes.
Slowly add the clam juice, whisking constantly and vigorously. Pour in white wine, black pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes. Bring to a simmer. Then add cream, parsley, and basil. Simmer, but do not boil. Mixture is done when thick enough to evenly coat the back of a spoon.
Serve the sauce over the crab cakes.