Chicken strips in a tangy sauce with cashews and green onions are served over brown rice. This diabetic recipe is a free preview of our Quick-Smart™ Diabetic recipe collection. The complete Diabetic recipe collection is available by subscription onl
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 pound skinned, boned chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch, divided
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup chopped cashews
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon minced gingerroot
- 1 cup fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges in light syrup, drained
- 3 cups cooked brown rice (cooked without salt or fat)
Combine chicken strips, orange juice, and 1 teaspoon cornstarch in a medium bowl; cover and chill 1 hour.
Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add cashews; cook, stirring constantly, 30 seconds. Remove from skillet; set aside. Add chicken mixture to skillet. Cook, uncovered, over medium-high heat 8 minutes or until chicken is lightly browned, stirring constantly. Add water chestnuts and next 3 ingredients; cook 5 minutes.
Combine broth, soy sauce, and 1 tablespoon cornstarch; add to chicken mixture. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in oranges. Spoon chicken mixture over rice, and sprinkle with cashews. Serve immediately.
(serving size: 3/4 cup chicken mixture and 1/2 cup rice) Calories 311 Fat 5.3g (sat 0.9g) Protein 22.4 Carbohydrate 42.8g Fiber 1.3g Cholesterol 44mg Sodium 275mg Exchanges: 2 Starch, 2 Vegetable, 2 Lean Meat© 2002 by Oxmoor House, Inc. Reprinted with permission of Oxmoor House®, Inc. All rights reserved.