Stuff and bake a whole pumpkin with layers of browned ground beef, rice and vegetables in this no-dish meal which serves up to 10 people.
INGREDIENTS (for 9 servings):
- 1 medium sugar pumpkin
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups tomato juice
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/2 pound fresh green beans, washed and trimmed
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Wash pumpkin, cut off top, scrape out seeds and discard.
Place hamburger in a large, deep skillet. Crumble and cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain fat, add onion and garlic; saute slightly.
Add sugar, Italian herbs, salt, pepper, tomato juice and rice; mix thoroughly.
Layer inside of pumpkin with 1/3 of cabbage, green beans and beef and rice mixture. Repeat layers, replace lid and bake for 2 to 3 hours.