This rice has everything but the kitchen sink. Let 's see, there 's pine nuts, black beans, and lime juice. There 's red onion, cilantro and cinnamon. Cumin, chili flakes and plum tomatoes. It 's pretty, tasty and the whole dinner.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons annatto or achiote powder (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/3 cups uncooked white rice
- 2 3/4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1/3 cups whole corn kernels, blanched
- 1 cup black beans, cooked and drained
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 2 teaspoons annatto powder
In a heavy saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and the chopped onions; saute for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Mix in the bell pepper, chili powder, ground annatto, chili flakes, cumin, and cinnamon. Saute for 2 minutes.
Pour the rice into the saucepan and stir to coat. Add the water and 1 teaspoon salt, and bring the rice to a boil over high heat. Cover the pan and turn the heat to low. Simmer the rice for 25 minutes.
When the rice is cooked, mix in tomatoes, corn, black beans, and pine nuts. Stir in salt, pepper and lime juice. When the mixture is heated through, spoon it onto plates and top with the sliced red onion and cilantro. Serve a wedge or two of lime with each plate to squeeze over the rice.