Diced Jalapeno peppers liven up this traditional cornbread and sausage dressing. This recipe makes enough to stuff a 10 pound turkey.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 3/4 cup butter, divided
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped onion
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 1/2 pound spicy Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1 (6 ounce) package cornbread stuffing mix
- 3 cups dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups warm chicken stock
- 1 egg, beaten
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease one 9x9 inch pan.
In a heavy skillet, melt 8 tablespoons butter over low heat. Saute the onion and peppers until soft. Place sausage in skillet; crumble and cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, and transfer to a large bowl.
Combine sausage mixture with stuffing mix, bread crumbs, chicken stock, egg, and salt and pepper. Mix well, and transfer dressing to prepared pan. Dot with remaining butter.
Bake for 45 minutes.