A Chesapeake Bay favorite in my family for years. It's rich, creamy and packet with flavor.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 celery, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups water
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons chicken soup base
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 1 quart half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 pound crabmeat
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning TM
- salt and pepper to taste
In a large stockpot, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and celery; saute until onions are transparent, about 4 minutes.
Stir in flour, mixing well. Cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly. Do not burn, or let it go lumpy. Add water, chicken broth and chicken soup base; stir until smooth. Bring to a boil. Stir in parsley and diced potato. Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
Stir in cream, soy sauce, crab meat and seasonings. Raise heat to medium and bring chowder just to a boil. Serve hot.