The American classic goes a bit upscale with the addition of mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Substitute lean ground beef for the ground veal and pork, if desired.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 6 tablespoons ketchup, divided
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard, divided
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound lean ground pork
- 1/2 pound lean ground veal
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Place a medium nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion, and saute for 3 minutes. Combine the onion, 1/4 cup ketchup, 1 tablespoon mustard, mozzarella, and next 6 ingredients (mozzarella through egg) in a large bowl. Crumble ground meats over cheese mixture; stir just until blended.
Pack mixture into an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Combine 2 tablespoons ketchup and 1 tablespoon mustard; spread over top of loaf. Bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour or until meat thermometer registers 160 degrees. Let meat loaf stand in pan 10 minutes.
Remove meat loaf from pan, and cut into 12 slices.
Reprinted with permission of Cooking Light® magazine. All rights reserved.CALORIES 329 (38% from fat); FAT 13.9g (sat 5.6g, mono 5.3g, poly 1.2g); PROTEIN 33.8g; CARB 15.1g; FIBER 1g; CHOL 133mg; IRON 2.4mg; SODIUM 801mg; CALC 19