A red sauce consisting of ground beef and pork, tomato sauce, bell peppers and mushrooms. Seasoned with basil, oregano and bay leaves with some red pepper flakes for a little kick. This is a great base sauce. Add more ground beef for sloppy joes, or add s
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound lean ground pork
- 1 onion, chopped, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 (29 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (4.5 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon dried basil leaves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano, crushed
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
In a large stock pot over medium heat, brown the ground beef, pork and onion. Drain fat, and return to the heat.
Stir in the garlic, green and red pepper, mushrooms, and tomato sauce. Stir in basil, oregano, Italian seasoning, bay leaves, and red pepper flakes. Salt and pepper to taste.
Bring sauce to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Let simmer for at least one hour; preferably all day.