This recipe can also be cooked in a crock pot, and simmered all day. If fresh green beans are not available, use frozen. Just good ol' Southern style green beans with FLAVA!!
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 6 cups water
- 1 ham hock
- 2 tablespoons lard or other cooking fat
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 pound fresh green beans - rinsed, trimmed and snapped into bite size pieces
Combine the water, ham hock, and lard in a large pot over medium-high heat. Season with seasoning salt, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, and add green beans. Simmer covered for about 2 hours.