This dish will be a family favorite for any season!
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can mashed yams
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated skim milk
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 (9 inch) deep-dish pie shells
- 2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- Lightly whipped cream (optional)
Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
Beat cream cheese with electric mixer until fluffy. Beat in sugar. Reduce mixer speed and add eggs, one at a time. Beat in yams, evaporated milk, and pumpkin pie spice.
Pour filling into pie shells. Bake pies 30 to 35 minutes until edges puff, crust browns, and custard is set.
Meanwhile, mix the pecans, brown sugar, and butter. Set aside. Remove pies from oven. Sprinkle with pecan mixture and return to oven 7 to 10 minutes longer, until topping is golden brown and crisp. Cool pies on rack completely. Garnish with whipped cream.
If mashed yams are unavailable, puree a drained 16-ounce can of whole yams in a food processor until smooth.