This potato and cabbage soup is drunk on only one beer! Beer and spicy mustard imbues it with a lovely piquancy and a heady aroma. Serve this over rice with a good stout ale.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 medium head cabbage, sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups water
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can beer
- 1 tablespoon prepared Dijon-style mustard
- 1/4 tablespoon garlic powder
- ground black pepper to taste
- salt to taste
Bring potatoes, onions, and water to a boil, lower heat to simmer.
Add cabbage and mustard. Slowly add about 1/2 the beer (it will foam up a bit). Cover loosely. Let simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the beans, spices, and more/all of the beer to taste. Remove lid, let simmer another 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add water if necessary. Re-spice if needed before serving.