French bread makes this spicy dish a complete meal.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1 (5 pound) duck, dressed and skinned
- 2 stalks celery with leaves, cut into pieces
- 1 large carrot, cut into pieces
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped green bell pepper
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 4 cups chopped smoked sausage (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen sliced okra
- 1 bay leaf
- Hot cooked rice
BRING duck in water to cover to a boil in a Dutch oven. Skim off foam. Add celery pieces, carrot, and quartered onion. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour. Remove duck from broth, reserving 8 cups broth. Discard vegetables. Set meat and broth aside to cool. Remove meat from bones, and chop into bite-size pieces.
COMBINE flour and next 6 ingredients. Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large cast-iron skillet. Add flour mixture, and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until roux is chocolate colored (about 30 to 45 minutes). Reduce heat to medium-low; add bell pepper, chopped onion, chopped celery, and garlic. Cook, stirring constantly, until vegetables are tender. Gradually stir in reserved broth. Add chopped duck meat, sausage, okra, and bay leaf.
BRING to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 50 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Serve with hot cooked rice and French bread.
Reprinted with permission of Southern Living® magazine. All rights reserved.