A real, old-fashioned cassoulet slow cooked in a 20th century kitchen appliance. The beans cook with the duck, sausage, and a variety of herbs and vegetables.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 pound pork sausage links, sliced
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 1 whole onion, peeled
- 3 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 pound dry navy beans, soaked overnight
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound skinned, boned duck breast halves, sliced into thin strips.
- 1 fresh tomato, chopped
In a large skillet, brown the sliced sausage over medium heat.
Insert whole cloves into onion. Roll bacon up, and tie with a string. Tie together parsley, thyme, and rosemary.
In a large slow cooker, place soaked beans, sausage, bacon, onion studded with cloves, fresh herbs, bay leaf, carrots, minced garlic, and duck. Add enough water to cover the other ingredients. Cook for 1 hour on HIGH. Reduce heat to LOW, and continue cooking for 6 to 8 hours.
Remove onion, bacon, and herbs. Stir in chopped tomatoes. Continue cooking for 1/2 hour. Serve.