Snails and baby portobello (crimini) mushrooms are sauteed in a spicy garlic sauce. Serve on whole wheat crackers for an unforgettable appetizer.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1/4 cup butter
- 15 helix snails, without shells
- 10 crimini mushrooms, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 4 tablespoons Louisiana-style hot sauce, or to taste
- 1/4 cup red wine
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (10 ounce) package whole wheat crackers
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the snails, mushrooms, garlic, green onions, hot sauce, and red wine. Cook and stir for about 20 minutes, until the liquid has reduced, and mushrooms and snails are tender. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Serve with whole wheat crackers.