A Rhode Island exclusive. Kind of like a Sloppy Joe but far superior. Spicy enough to earn it's name, it's best washed down with a good beer. For you non Rhodey people, torpedo rolls are just the long sandwich rolls.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 (1/4 inch x 3 inch) strip red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 8 torpedo rolls, split
Place the ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the green pepper, red pepper, yellow onion and red onion to the skillet, and cook until meat is evenly browned and vegetables are tender. Drain excess grease from the pan.
Transfer the mixture to a slow cooker, and stir in tomato paste, water and red pepper flakes. Cover, and cook at the Low setting for at least 4 hours. I usually let it go for 12. The longer it simmers, the spicier it gets! Spoon into torpedo rolls and serve.