Whole jalapeno peppers are stuffed with cream cheese and coated with a cheesy sausage and bread coating mixture. A Texas favorite!
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup bacon bits
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 pound pork sausage
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 (5.5 ounce) package seasoned coating mix
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 16 fresh jalapeno peppers
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a bowl, mix the cream cheese, bacon bits, chives, and hot sauce. In a separate bowl, mix the uncooked sausage and Cheddar cheese. On a flat surface, mix the seasoned coating mix, cumin, and chili powder.
Cut a slit lengthwise into each jalapeno pepper, and remove the seeds. Stuff the peppers with the cream cheese mixture. Press the sausage mixture around the stuffed jalapenos, and roll in the seasoned coating mix to coat.
Arrange the coated jalapenos on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until the sausage is evenly brown.