This dish really hits the spot with warm home-baked bread from the bread machine and a dish of cold applesauce.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked spiral pasta
- 1 pound boneless beef sirloin steak, cut into 1/8-inch-thick strips
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, stir-fry beef in oil for 4-5 minutes or until browned. Add onion and green pepper; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, water, broth, vinegar and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. In a small bowl, combine flour and cold water until smooth. Add to skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Drain pasta; stir into beef mixture.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving (1 cup) equals 272 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 45 mg cholesterol, 371 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 22 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat.© 2002 Reiman Media Group, Inc.