This quick, easy soup is thickened with refried black beans, and features a lively blend of spices and seasonings, including fresh ginger.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped white onions
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon celery salt
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (14.25 ounce) can tomato puree
- 2 (16 ounce) cans refried black beans
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, and cook the onion until tender. Mix in ginger and garlic, and season with cayenne pepper, thyme, allspice, and celery salt. Pour in the broth. Mix in tomato puree, refried black beans, black pepper, and sugar. Cook and stir until heated through.
Mix the remaining black beans and lemon juice into the soup. Continue cooking until heated through. Top each serving with a dollop of sour cream.