Dry black, kidney and pinto beans go into this slow simmering tomato based chili with ground beef and a whole head of garlic.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium head garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup dry black beans
- 1 cup dry kidney beans
- 1 cup dry pinto beans
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, drained
- 3 cups tomato paste
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, or to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
In a large pot over medium heat, cook beef, onion and garlic until meat is brown. Stir in black beans, kidney beans, pinto beans, tomatoes, tomato paste and tomato sauce. Season with chili powder, salt, pepper and pepper sauce. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 2 to 3 hours, until beans are tender.